Thursday, August 13, 2015

August Featured Blog

This month I am featuring Melanie from Wind in a Letterbox.  


Melanie has two absolutely adorably beautiful daughters, and I did a double-take when I saw her family piccie she sent me - she's married to a well-known South African actor!


Melanie's blog is mostly about parenting (including all about homeschooling her daughters - what a creative, brave mama!) about faith, her thoughts on life, and lots of creative craft ideas.

Have a look at this supercute Tooth Pillow tutorial!   This Pumpkin, Spinach and Chickpea Curry recipe is absolutely delicious.  I love this gift that she made for her hubby for his birthday, A Year of Dates.  I want to try this DIY Calm Jar with the kiddies soon.


Here's the interview I did with Melanie:

How did you get into blogging, and how long have you been blogging?  I started blogging to stay sane while adjusting to motherhood. :) I've been blogging at Wind in a Letterbox since January 2014.


 Tell me about how your decision to homeschool your kids came about? Homeschooling was something we started considering when I was pregnant with Angie, but we thought we'd begin when she was in grade 1. Over the course of this year, we started to feel that we needed to homeschool the girls even sooner than that, so we took them out of school at the end of July. We believe homeschooling will allow our daughters to pursue their own interests, learn at their own pace in their own learning styles, and have a broader education than if they were to attend a mainstream school. We also feel that the more focused attention will have a positive effect on their character and behaviour. 
What motivates and inspires you? I'm a Christian, so I desire to live in a way that is pleasing to God. My main motivation is to do his will, and also to share his love with others. My inspiration is Jesus and the way he showed love to people.
What are your interests and hobbies? I'm a bookworm, but I don't get to read as many books as I used to. (Occasionally I'll stay up late to read - and have a book hangover the next day!) I also like knitting and crafting with my daughters.
Share some of your pet peeves?  I get upset when people smoke around my children. Also, it frustrates me when people crowd the elevator doors while others are trying to get out. A little common sense goes a long way. :)
If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be? I think I'd get my driver's license a lot earlier than I did. (I was 27 when I did.)
What do you love about being a mom?  So many things! I love snuggling, and the random conversations I have with my daughters. I love seeing their personalities develop and the excitement when they discover something new. I love watching them play together.
What is the hardest thing about being a mom?  The sleep-deprivation, definitely! Emmy is almost three, and she's still doesn't sleep through the night. And her usual wake-up time is 5:30.
Do you collect anything? Books. Craft supplies. 
What makes you sad?  Our government. Although I'm learning to let go of that frustration and trust that God is still in control.
And what makes you happy?  Watching my daughters grasp a new concept. Spending time with my husband. Seeing how God has answered prayers in our lives.
What are the most important values/qualities/lessons you hope to teach your children?  My heart's desire is that they will have a relationship with Jesus. I also hope that they grow into a godly young women who sincerely love others.
What is your favourite family holiday tradition?  We do an Easter countdown every year with different crafts over ten days that tell the Easter story. On Easter Sunday we attend a sunrise service at our local park with several local churches. We also do a lot of Christmas crafts together leading up to Christmas.
Find her on InstagramPinterest and on Facebook.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Melanie! So nice to meet you, and I look forward to reading all your blog posts!
xx

1 comment:

  1. Love these blog features! Please remind me to take part as well?
    Will definitely check out this blog, sounds great
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you! :-)